[mythtvnz] What is the best MythTV distribution to use? Or why MythTV hates only me.....

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 03:42:30 BST 2013

> I have no idea why you seem to be targeted by the gremlins in all your
> Myth endeavours, but Mythbuntu is a good way to do MythTV.  Most of us
> do not have the problems you seem to with Mythbuntu.  The only other
> comprehensive MythTV system I know of is LinHES, which seems to have
> evolved out of the old KnoppMyth distribution I used initially.

I have no idea how my series of disasters started.  My DVB stick was
working to record a 6pm show on 8/8/13 and failed to record all shows
afyter that.

I updated the kernel version on 5/8/13 (and rebooted), and there was
nothing odd in the logs (mythtv logs and syslog)  around the time the
DVB stick stopped working.

It did work once when I used the older kernel, but not after that.

I then entered the aptitude purge... aptitude reinstall... reinstall
mythbuntu cycle with the hellish results I shared with the list, but all
my problems seemed opaque, I could find no where on the net people
having the same problems as I, some similar ones from about 2006, but
not the same.  Also it was worrying that I would have to muck around
with mysql configurations.

However I have managed to get a MythTV installation going and I do know
what made the difference.

I have been using a usb stick to install the system.  I used the same
stick for each install, and I never seemed to be in the same place when
I started fresh. Something was allways failing when thi was the exact
version that had worked for me. I had a niggling worry, that I should
have paid attention to earlier, that each install remembered my user
names and machine names.

Sure enough when I re formatted the stick and installed from that I am
back where I was a week and a half ago.  Since I had been going
backwards since then this is progress!  The installation process had
been putting something (I do not know what) unhelpful back on the stick.
 Some item of configuration I got wrong the first time....

It was Stephen's comment "...Mythbuntu is a good way to do MythTV.  Most
of us do not have the problems you seem to with Mythbuntu..." that
pushed me into that corner.

Thank you all for you patience

Now to get my remote clients going, next week!

cheers