[mythtvnz] What is the best MythTV distribution to use?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Aug 11 02:25:59 BST 2013

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:15:58 +1200, you wrote:

>Golly
>
>I have reinstalled from scratch to get my card recognised, but then I
>could not schedule recordings because it seemed that I could not connect
>to the database.
>
>So having purged and reinstalled alll mysql and mythtv packages and
>reinstalled them I had to rerun dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common to get
>mythconverg created, but then I could not connect to the database.
>
>mysql -u mythtv -h 127.0.0.1 -p mythconverg
>Enter password:
>ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
>password: YES)
>q at rahel:/var/log/mythtv$
>
>I used all sorts of combinations of host and user.
>
>This must have been a mysql problem.  I could not solve it so I
>reinstalled from scratch, again.

The password that Mythbuntu sets up for mythconverg access is stored
in:

  /etc/mythtv/config.xml

The format of this file changed recently, but I have code I wrote for
my batch files that will handle the old and new formats.  This bash
script will give you access to mythconverg:

!/bin/bash

# Run MySQL to access the mythconverg database.

which xmlstarlet >/dev/null
if [ $? != 0 ] ; then
    echo 'Error: xmlstarlet is not installed.'
    echo 'On Ubuntu, you can use the command "sudo apt-get install
xmlstarlet" to install it.'
    exit 1
fi

configxml=/etc/mythtv/config.xml

DBUserName=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v
Configuration/UPnP/MythFrontend/DefaultBackend/DBUserName $configxml`
if [ "$DBUserName" == "" ]; then
    # Either config.xml does not exist, or it is in MythTV 0.26 or
greater
    # format.  Try 0.26+ format.

    DBUserName=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v Configuration/Database/UserName
$configxml`
    if [ "$DBPassword" == "" ]; then
        echo "Error: Either $configxml does not exist or it is in an
unknown format."
        exit 1
    fi

    DBPassword=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v Configuration/Database/Password
$configxml`
    DBHostName=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v Configuration/Database/Host
$configxml`
    DBName=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v Configuration/Database/DatabaseName
$configxml`
else
    # The config.xml file is in 0.25 and before format.

    DBPassword=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v
Configuration/UPnP/MythFrontend/DefaultBackend/DBPassword $configxml`
    DBHostName=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v
Configuration/UPnP/MythFrontend/DefaultBackend/DBHostName $configxml`
    DBName=`xmlstarlet sel -t -v
Configuration/UPnP/MythFrontend/DefaultBackend/DBName $configxml`
fi

mysql -u $DBUserName -p$DBPassword -h $DBHostName $DBName

It requires the xmlstarlet package to be installed.

>Now I am back to the start with an unrecognised card.  This is after a
>complete fresh install.
>
>I should abandon ubuntu, or this version (mythbuntu 12.04).  13.04 is
>very buggy so I do not want that and I am in some sort of hellish cycle
>with MythBuntu 12.04.
>
>I would like to start from scratch with some thing that wors as I have
>spent 4 days on this and have got nowhere with what I have....
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Worik

I have no idea why you seem to be targeted by the gremlins in all your
Myth endeavours, but Mythbuntu is a good way to do MythTV.  Most of us
do not have the problems you seem to with Mythbuntu.  The only other
comprehensive MythTV system I know of is LinHES, which seems to have
evolved out of the old KnoppMyth distribution I used initially.

  http://www.linhes.org

I have not followed it at all so I have no idea how good it is.