[mythtvnz] Sky is renumbering its channels on 1-May-2013

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Apr 30 06:13:18 BST 2013

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:46:56 +1200, you wrote:

>The final working version of the Sky channel renumbering script is now
>available here:
>
>  http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/skynz-renumber.tgz
>
>This has two options to set, one for automatically backing up the
>mythconverg database before making the changes (BACKUPDB, defaults to
>on), and one for setting testing mode where changes are made to a copy
>of the channel table instead of making real changes in the actual
>channel table (TESTING, defaults to on).
>
>Try running the script as is first (with TESTING on), and make sure it
>works for you, and make any necessary adjustments for your system.
>Then edit the TESTING setting to 0 to run it for real.
>
>I am lucky that I do not have any programmes recording from Sky until
>well after midnight, so I have a couple of hours to fix things if
>necessary.  I would recommend that anyone who does have a recording
>scheduled on Sky over midnight reschedule it if possible.
>
>I do not know exactly what Sky needs to do to make the channel
>renumbering happen, but I suspect it will only involve changing all
>the ID data sent on their transponders, and changing all the EPG data
>to match.  So that should only take around as long as running epgsnoop
>to get all the EPG data does - a few minutes.  So you should be able
>to run the renumbering script just after midnight and all should be
>well.  I would suggest running it from an "at 00:00" command from a
>root prompt.

And you probably need to set up epgsnoop to use the new
channels.conf.sky I posted.  The old one is rather out of date now.
Remember to comment out any channels you do not have configured in
your database, as epgsnoop adds in any channels it finds in the
channels.conf file that it also finds in the EPG data.  If you are
still using the unmodified channel.conf file that comes with epgsnoop,
it will likely be adding in some invalid channels for you eg Fresh.
The way it adds them does not cause any problems, but does clutter up
your database.  They end up with NULL in the channum field, so you can
easily find and delete them.  Incidentally, NULLs are not allowed in
the channum field, so I am not sure how epgsnoop is managing to do
that.

However, I have not tested the new channels.conf.sky file yet - I am
leaving that for tonight after I have all the channels renumbered
safely.