[mythtvnz] Sky is renumbering its channels on 1-May-2013

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Apr 30 05:46:56 BST 2013

The final working version of the Sky channel renumbering script is now
available here:

  http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/skynz-renumber.tgz

This has two options to set, one for automatically backing up the
mythconverg database before making the changes (BACKUPDB, defaults to
on), and one for setting testing mode where changes are made to a copy
of the channel table instead of making real changes in the actual
channel table (TESTING, defaults to on).

Try running the script as is first (with TESTING on), and make sure it
works for you, and make any necessary adjustments for your system.
Then edit the TESTING setting to 0 to run it for real.

I am lucky that I do not have any programmes recording from Sky until
well after midnight, so I have a couple of hours to fix things if
necessary.  I would recommend that anyone who does have a recording
scheduled on Sky over midnight reschedule it if possible.

I do not know exactly what Sky needs to do to make the channel
renumbering happen, but I suspect it will only involve changing all
the ID data sent on their transponders, and changing all the EPG data
to match.  So that should only take around as long as running epgsnoop
to get all the EPG data does - a few minutes.  So you should be able
to run the renumbering script just after midnight and all should be
well.  I would suggest running it from an "at 00:00" command from a
root prompt.