[mythtvnz] hdhomerun doesn't connect on restart when connected directly to the lan port

David Lowe david at thistledown.co.nz
Thu Apr 25 01:34:29 BST 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still haven't figured out why you insist on putting the HDHR on a
> separate subnet, but if you insist on doing so why don't you run a dhcp
> server and give out a real IP address to the HDHR?

I think the OP said earlier that he wanted to connect the HDHR direct to
avoid load on his network... I had the same fear, but went ahead and
connected it to the network anyway. It was a snap to set up, had it working
in 10 minutes and in fact I dont think it is causing any network issues.
All I have is an el-cheapo router with DHCP server and a decent switch. I
dont know the technical details, but when recordings and playing are
happening simultaneously, I dont notice any impact on normal network
activity.

So my advice to Paul is - go for it and save yourself a lot of trouble.

- David