[mythtvnz] Help-can't get grabber and mythfilldatabase to work right

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Apr 21 15:57:06 BST 2013

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 13:20:55 +1200, you wrote:

>This system is so bloody frustrating.
>
>I have just deleted Video Sources and repeated the set-up procedure.
>
>I have the grabber in usr/local/bin.
>I ran mythfilldatabase --manual and selected the channels I want.
>I have just added the xmltv ids to the channels in channel editor.
>
>I have followed this method:
>
>setup the grabber
>setup the EIT channels
>assign each EIT channel an appropriate channel number (up to you, I like
>Prime on 5 myself) and the correct XML ID (look in
>~/.mythtv/freeview.xmltv)
>delete the channel number and mark not Visible any channel you don't want
>to see
>quit mythtv-setup and run mythfilldatabase --manual - Now all the
>discovered channels will have correct details filled out, and you won't
>get "XMLTV channels" and "EIT channels" and life is good.
>
>When I ran mythfilldatabase --manual it did not ask me to accept or skip
>anything.
>
>I still get this:
>
>FillData: xmltv returned error code 2 and Error in 1:1: unexpected end of
>file
>
>Any help?
>
>Paul

I initially created my /home/stephen/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv file
using the grabber, but I have maintained it manually ever since.  This
is what it now looks like (channels for Wharite transmitter):

channel=tv1.freeviewnz.tv
channel=tv2.freeviewnz.tv
channel=u.freeviewnz.tv
channel!tvnz7.freeviewnz.tv
channel=tv1-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
channel=tv3.freeviewnz.tv
channel=tv3-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
channel=four.freeviewnz.tv
channel=c4.freeviewnz.tv
channel=maori-tv.freeviewnz.tv
channel=prime.freeviewnz.tv
channel=trackside.sky.co.nz
channel=choice.freeviewnz.tv
channel=parliament.freeviewnz.tv
channel=ctv8.freeviewnz.tv
channel=tvcentral.freeviewnz.tv
channel=rnz-national.freeviewnz.tv
channel=rnz-concert.freeviewnz.tv
channel=base-fm.freeviewnz.tv
channel!tv33.freeviewnz.tv
channel!cue.freeviewnz.tv
channel!te-reo.freeviewnz.tv
channel!george-fm.freeviewnz.tv

Each channel line specifies an xmltvid value that is to be processed
for that source.  If there is a = sign, the EPG data is processed for
the channel with that xmltvid.  If there is a ! instead, or the
xmltvid is missing or does not match, the EPG data for the channel
with that xmltvid is ignored.

The valid xmltvid values can be found at the front of the downloaded
EPG xml file in the <channel id> lines.  These are derived from the
epgsnoop program or mhegepgsnoop.py program that generates the EPG
files - they have configuration that they use to specify the xmltvid
values for each channel.  For epgsnoop, that is a channel.conf file
that is manually configured.  For mhegepgsnoop.py, it reads the
information out of the channel table in the mythconverg database,
matching the channel names with the names in the mheg5 data, or it can
also have a manual configuration file.

The downloaded EPG file (freeview.xml.gz) has a small anomaly in that
it still lists tvnz7.freeview.tv as a valid xmltvid, even though the
channel is long gone now.  There is, of course, no data for that
channel in the file.

I have another SkyNZ.xmltv file for my Sky source.  I am just updating
my Sky setup, so I have not posted it as it is a bit out of date.