[mythtvnz] Fresh install 12.04 - tv_grab_nz-py not populating scheduler

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Apr 20 09:50:23 BST 2013

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:14:58 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I installed the latest LTS Mythbuntu and have all my tuners working.
>> I have 2 remaining problems with the new install.
>>
>> 1. I have a second drive for recordings.It is set up as I did in the past
>> and is being seen
>> and used by mythtv.The drive has some recordings on it from prior to the
>> new install.
>> I believe that when I first installed this drive and copied old recordings
>> onto it,there was some scan function that would
>> populate the database.I seem to recall it was a menu option somewhere on
>> the frontend.
>>

>A workaround - albeit not a very elegant one - is to move the
>old recording files  to a folder in the path where your 'videos' are stored
>and then get MythTV to scan and add them to the videos database. You'll
>need to figure out new file names well, but at least you can still keep
>the recording.
>
>What you might have also used before is the 'archive/restore from archive'
>options which I've used before to restore old recordings when I didn't want
>to keep the old database.
>
>In the end, backup/restore of the database is always the best thing to do...
>
>- David

If you just want to keep only the recordings parts of the database,
you can do this:

1) Back up your current database.
2) Restore the old database.
3) Install and run Mythexport.
4) With a web browser, go to http://127.0.0.1/mythexport
5) Click on the "On the Go" link.
6) At the top, set the "Choose a location" directory to a place where
you want to store the database for the recordings.  Preferably an
empty directory, and it must already exist.  The recordings only
database will be a stored there as a .sql text file.
7) Select all of the recordings on that page - a very tedious exercise
if you have quite a few.
8) Open a terminal and cd to the location you chose for the export.
9) Click on the Submit button on the bottom of the Mythexport web
page.
up to a minute for the Mythexport daemon to start the export process.
11) Once Mythexport starts, it will first export a *.sql file with all
the data for your recordings.  It will then start exporting all the
recording files.  Keep doing ls -al until you see it start to export
the first *.mpg file.
12) On the Mythexport web page, click on Job Queue and cancel the
running export job.
13) On the terminal, do rm *.mpg to remove any recording files that
got exported.
14) Close the Mythexport web page.
15) Restore your backed up database.
16) Install Mythimport.
17) Run Mythimport on the *.sql file that was created.
18) Make sure the actual *.mpg files for the recordings are in a
storage group directory.
19) Your recordings should now appear in your database just as though
they were recorded from that setup.

Note: This procedure only works between the same versions of MythTV -
so if the old database is a different version, you need to update to
the same version of MythTV before running Mythexport.