[mythtvnz] Channel id to name tables: Where are they?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 06:23:34 BST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes I think my channel table is a mess!  I was looking at it and it is
> full of duplicated fields.  I attached it.

You are running DVB-T, right? We need the serviceid. How are you populating
guide data? Give us the output of this query:
select chanid, channum, freqid, sourceid, callsign, name, xmltvid, visible,
useonairguide, mplexid, serviceid from channel;

In case you're not clear on what these column contains, here's a
chanid - unique identifier for a particular channel or a particular source
channum - number used only for selecting the channel in the UI. When you're
in Live TV you type this number to select the channel. Should be the same
for each row where the callsign is identical, though it won't cause
problems if it isn't.
freqid - the frequency used for analogue tuning. Also passed to an external
channel change program if you are using one (e.g. for people using
irblasters with external boxes)
sourceid - the source this particular channel is on. The source represents
a particular broadcast method for a group of channels
callsign - identifies a particular program line up. If you have multiple
sources, a common channel should have the same callsign on each source.
Scheduling is done based on callsign.
name - the name of channel as displayed in the UI
xmltvid - the external identifier used to identify the channel in guide
data. If you are producing your own guide data (e.g. via tv_grab) then you
can pretty much set these up however you like, provided the setup is
consistent between MythTV and what you're using to get the guide data. If
you're using guide data from someone else (downloaded) then you need to set
these to match whatever is in their data. If MythTV is getting the guide
data itself (see below) then this can be empty.
visible - whether or not the channel is in use. If this is 0 then the
channel will not appear in the UI and the scheduler will ignore it.
useonairguide - for DVB systems, whether or not MythTV should grab guide
data from the EIT tables in the DVB stream. If you're producing your own
data or downloading it I'd recommend switching this off. For Freeview HD, I
believe on "now and next" data is available in the EIT tables so this is
pretty useless.
mplexid - the id of the multiplex this channel is on. Used for DVB.
serviceid - the PID (packet ID) in DVB stream that contains the service
information for a channel. A channel has other PIDs too, for the video and
audio streams, etc, but MythTV can find those other PIDs from this one. On
lyngsat, this is the "SID" column (e.g. on www.lyngsat.com/Optus-D1.html).

If you need more info, search the archives. I've gone into detail on the
chanid/channum/callsign stuff before.

However I am not sure that is the problem.  Looking at the backend log I
> find...
>
> mythbackend.log:55587:2012-10-21 05:00:03.143 Started recording: "BBC
> World News": channel 1052 on cardid 1, sourceid 1
>

> This early morning recording is typically on the wrong channel.  (Maybe
> half of the time, I have not counted carefully).  But always with the
> same chanid.

You haven't given us enough info to diagnose (need the serviceid column at
least, sourceid too would be good). From what you supplied, 1052 is channel
One. But obviously the tuning info is not right.

Cheers,