[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 03:50:03 BST 2012

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 00:06:50 +1300, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The frontend playback log shows the problem - looks like it's some
>> sort of buffer-related problem after all (although I haven't had
>> LiveTV fail altogether before).
>
> The frontend log shows that there is a lack of video packets at that
> point. But we already knew that. It doesn't >shed any light on the
> cause. The buffers it's talking about are playback buffers - they're not
> relevant.
>
> Have a look at the options for increasing the verbosity of the backend
> log. Also try the kernel logs.
>
> You said Mediaportal worked ok. So it's not hardware, but you haven't
> narrowed down which Linux software is >causing the issue. Try to make a
> recording outside of MythTV but under Linux using dvbstream or something
> similar >(I think you could use mplayer as well). That might tell you if
> the problem is in MythTV or if the problem is in >the kernel drivers.
>
> You mentioned a fresh install of the very latest Mythbuntu dist. I don't
> think you've actually said, but I got the >impression that this was a
> new problem for you, if so then I would be more inclined to try an older
> install (+ >matching kernel) than a newer one. If you can narrow down
> the issue to the kernel or MythTV then try downgrading >just that part.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Here's a little more info based on my experimentation with this problem.It
may be relevant.after I reduced the signal going into the tuner,TV3 shows
1 or 2 second periods of minor pixellation but it never builds into the 30
to 60 second long event that get progressively worse till something resets
and the picture suddenly comes right.

-Paul