[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 12:06:50 BST 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com>wrote:

> The frontend playback log shows the problem - looks like it's some
> sort of buffer-related problem after all (although I haven't had
> LiveTV fail altogether before).

The frontend log shows that there is a lack of video packets at that point.
But we already knew that. It doesn't shed any light on the cause. The
buffers it's talking about are playback buffers - they're not relevant.

Have a look at the options for increasing the verbosity of the backend log.
Also try the kernel logs.

You said Mediaportal worked ok. So it's not hardware, but you haven't
narrowed down which Linux software is causing the issue. Try to make a
recording outside of MythTV but under Linux using dvbstream or something
similar (I think you could use mplayer as well). That might tell you if the
problem is in MythTV or if the problem is in the kernel drivers.

You mentioned a fresh install of the very latest Mythbuntu dist. I don't
think you've actually said, but I got the impression that this was a new
problem for you, if so then I would be more inclined to try an older
install (+ matching kernel) than a newer one. If you can narrow down the
issue to the kernel or MythTV then try downgrading just that part.

Cheers,