[mythtvnz] Reception problems with HVR2200

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 12:38:29 BST 2012

On 9 October 2012 22:02, John McKnight <mcknight at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> I am running Mythbuntu 12.04, combined frontend-backend, and I can't get
> reliable reception with an HVR2200. The symptoms are random pixelation in
> recordings, and when things are really bad, distorted sound.
> I have a single UHF antenna - line of site to Kaukau from Maungaraki in
> Lower Hutt. I use an internal splitter to feed the TV and HVR2200.
> This seems to be a classic case of poor signal at the HVR2200, as bad
> weather seems to make things worse. However, the TV never - and I mean never
> ever - has any reception issues whatsoever.
>
> I have tried a Kingray internal amplifier replacing the passive splitter -
> The TV was happy, but Mythtv could not get a lock at all.
> I have tried swapping flyleads, and replacing the passive splitter - no
> improvements.
> I have tried removing the passive splitter and going direct to the HVR2200 -
> no improvement.
>
> I am reluctant to splash out on a new antenna, as I am not certain that
> there is anything wrong with the existing one, and looking at the archives
> it seems that other people have had reception issues with HVR2200s in the
> past. So I am leaning towards trying a different tuner card.
>
> Can anyone suggest a tuner card that is not quite as deaf as the HVR2200?
>
> Cheers,
> John.

I've got a HVR-2210, which is pretty similar (although slightly less
mature driver support in linux). I'm having what I 8think* are
reception problems, in the middle of Hamilton - in sight of the
Hamilton infill tower, with a clean, well secured 91 element aerial
pointed right at it. As with you, my TV reports great signal - 10/10
strength and quality on all muxes (after some fiddling).

Myth scans all channels properly, picture is generally good save for
otherwise unexplained pixellation and drop outs every 20-30 minutes,
similar to what you're describing. It seems to be occurring a little
less frequently after some checking and redoing of connections, which
suggests a signal problem to the card/PC (which is not shared by the
TV).

Trouble is - I'm not aware of any other readily available alternative
cards in NZ which have dual terrestrial tuners. And even then, they
could suffer similar problems or it isn't the card's fault, but
elsewhere in the chain!