[mythtvnz] Reception problems with HVR2200

John McKnight mcknight at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 9 10:02:22 BST 2012

I am running Mythbuntu 12.04, combined frontend-backend, and I can't get
reliable reception with an HVR2200. The symptoms are random pixelation
in recordings, and when things are really bad, distorted sound.
I have a single UHF antenna - line of site to Kaukau from Maungaraki in
Lower Hutt. I use an internal splitter to feed the TV and HVR2200.
This seems to be a classic case of poor signal at the HVR2200, as bad
weather seems to make things worse. However, the TV never - and I mean
never ever - has any reception issues whatsoever.

I have tried a Kingray internal amplifier replacing the passive splitter
- The TV was happy, but Mythtv could not get a lock at all.
I have tried swapping flyleads, and replacing the passive splitter - no
improvements.
I have tried removing the passive splitter and going direct to the
HVR2200 - no improvement.

I am reluctant to splash out on a new antenna, as I am not certain that
there is anything wrong with the existing one, and looking at the
archives it seems that other people have had reception issues with
HVR2200s in the past. So I am leaning towards trying a different tuner card.

Can anyone suggest a tuner card that is not quite as deaf as the HVR2200?

Cheers,
John.