[mythtvnz] mythtv-status needs a manual update for MythTV 0.25

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 02:44:28 BST 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> I have finally moved my MythTV box to a new install of Mythbuntu 12.04
>> with 0.25+fixes.  I am still working on the upgrade for my mother's
>> MythTV box - I have yet to complete making her Hauppauge Nova TD-500
>> remote work with the new kernel lirc drivers.  I know how to do it
>> (using ir-keytables), but I am still working on adjusting all the key
>> mappings.  I have the /etc/rc_keymaps/hauppauge configuration working
>> (all the keys on the remote work and are mapped to standard KEY_xxxx
>> definitions), but I still have to update the ~/.lirc/mythtv and
>> ~/.lirc/mplayer files and put in the matching key definitions in the
>> Mythfrontend setup.  Fortunately, my Hauppauge HVR-900R2 remote is
>> identical and I can do all that work on my laptop Mythbuntu 12.04
>> partition rather than having to work around the recording schedule on
>> a live MythTV box.
>>
>> So far, the only thing I have found broken in the upgrade is
>> mythtv-status, which I rather like using, and is also used by my
>> storage balancing script:
>>
>>   http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/balance_storage.sh
>>
>> It seems that the changes to the API in 0.25 are the problem, and a
>> new version has been published by the author and as a Debian package,
>> but a new package has yet to be released for Ubuntu 12.04.  So this is
>> the manual upgrade procedure I used (running as root in a suitable
>> temporary directory):
>>
>>   wget
>> http://www.etc.gen.nz/projects/mythtv/tarballs/mythtv-status-0.10.1.tar.gz
>>   tar xvf mythtv-status-0.10.1.tar.gz
>>   cd mythtv-status-0.10.1/bin
>>   cp -a mythtv-status /usr/bin
>>
>> I then found that there was a dependency on one more Perl package I
>> did not have installed:
>>
>>   apt-get install libsys-sigaction-perl
>>
>> Depending on your particular setup, it is possible that there may be
>> other missing Perl dependencies.
>>
>> Once the new package comes along, I believe it will install itself
>> over these changes without any problems, and the package should add
>> the dependency rule for libsys-sigaction-perl.
>
> Yes I see the latest for 12.04 is mythtv-status-0.9.3. I assume your
> error before updating was
>
> nick at media:~$ mythtv-status
> Sorry, failed to fetch http://localhost:6544/xml:
> 404 Not Found
>
> I will email Thomas Mashos who manages the mythbuntu stuff and see if
> I can get him to put an updated mythtv-status in the mythbuntu repos,
> or something like that!

if you want to stay (almost) within the packaging system you can use
the quantal package, which is mythtv-status-0.10.2

sudo apt-get install libsys-sigaction-perl
wget http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/mythtv-status/mythtv-status_0.10.2-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i mythtv-status_0.10.2-1_all.deb

This worked for me on mythbuntu 10.04.