[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 07:10:19 BST 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz> wrote:

> On 07/10/12 01:18, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz
>>     On 06/10/12 21:03, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>         On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:29:01PM +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
>>                 In a way this is good - it means I don't have to go and
>>                 buy a UPS to protect XFS/JFS.
>>
>>>  Why would you need to buy a UPS to protect XFS/JFS?
>>>>
>>>  Is that a myth?
>>>
>> Not at all - UPSs protect important things, and important things run
>> filesystems like XFS, JFS, Reiser, extN, etc
>>

>  Can't say I'd call many of the recordings in my Myth system
>> importantthings.
>>

> My mythbox is also my backup host, and it also runs other things.

Obviously if you have other things that need protection on the same server
as a Myth system then a UPS may make sense. I was questioning the implied
reasoning of "I'm using XFS/JFS therefore I must have a UPS".

Theres a name for that logical fallacy - something like
> "Argument from final Consequences" where one has assumed the answer
> implies the question.

I guess you mean "appeal to consequences"? I don't see the relevance. My
argument is that the the consequences of a power outage on a Myth system
are too minor to justify a UPS. You may not agree but that doesn't make it
fallacious. It's the same reasoning that prevents us from all running
multiple redundant Myth servers just in case one suffers a hardware failure.

Cheers,