[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 23:34:33 BST 2012

On 7 October 2012 09:30, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz> wrote:
> On 07/10/12 01:18, Steve Hodge wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz
>>     On 06/10/12 21:03, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>         On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:29:01PM +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
>>                 In a way this is good - it means I don't have to go and
>>                 buy a UPS to protect XFS/JFS.

>>>  Is that a myth?
>>
>> Not at all - UPSs protect important things, and important things run
>> filesystems like XFS, JFS, Reiser, extN, etc
>

>> Can't say I'd call many of the recordings in my Myth system
>> importantthings.
>

> My mythbox is also my backup host, and it also runs other things.
>
> I run three UPSs in my house:
> one for the firewall/routers/switch/ATA/phone, est 84 minutes
> one on my desktop (admittedly this one is under test), est 4 min
> one for my two servers, can't measure its estimated runtime.
>
> Theres a name for that logical fallacy - something like
> "Argument from final Consequences" where one has assumed the answer implies
> the question.
>
> Anyway - OP is there any news on process lists etc as I suggested yesterday?
>

> --
> Criggie

Will check out processes today and get back - CPU doesn't seem taxed
at the time of probems (OSD debugging playback info). In the meantime:

1. Tried changing decoder to ffmpeg (standard) instead of VDPAU - no fix
2. Tried running mythbackend as user "root" (/etc/conf.d/mythbackend),
which is the distro's default behaviour, but I'd changed it to
'myusername' so mythfilldatabase ran properly - no fix
3.  I can confirm that problems happen every 20-30 minutes, including
whilst watching liveTV (and are therefore reflected in the damaged
recording file).
4. On the OSD Playback information, all seemed the same pre and during
pixellation EXCEPT "Available Buffer", which went from 50-70%
pre-pixellation to 0-20% during and just after pixellation.
5. For some reason I can't check live signal strength using Alt+F7
which would help check if this is a signal/lock problem. I might just
swivel the aerial to Te Aroha instead of Hamilton Infill today, do a
retune and see if that helps. I used to use Te Aroha previously (well
before the current issues though).