[mythtvnz] Hi

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:08:43 GMT 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 29 November 2012 21:26, Don Robertson <don at robertson.net.nz> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently bought a HD HomeRun tuner, set up MythTV on Mythbuntu, and am
> waiting for something worth recording :-)
> >
> > Also - my original plan was to copy recordings to my portable hard drive
> and to plug that into the TV, or to get the network dongle for the TV and
> use MythTV's DLNA server. But now am thinking I might need a front end
> pugged directly into the HDMI port on the TV.

Frontend is a much better experience!

> > But first - my most pressing problem. I am sure there  will be more.
> >
> > MythTV's program guide is only showing the next couple of hours
> programmes, which makes it a bit tricky to set it to record progammes in
> the future. If I do set it to 'Record at any time on this channel', I do
> get some future recordings showing up in the Upcoming Recordings screen,
> but with no titles.
> >
> > I have done a search on the web, and have seen references to a python
> script that grabs an xml file - but no instructions on how to use it. Is
> this still needed - or is it pre-freeview?
> >
> > Longer term - I have been reading about android based 'smart tv' boxes.
> Has anyone had any experience with them?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Don

> You will have seen from those recent discussions that there is no
> mythtv frontend for android, so no using an android-based 'smart tv'
> box as a mythtv FE, I'm afraid (guess they're not that smart yet).
>
> On the topic of a programe guide, yep - you'll need some sort of
> method to get the programme guide data into mythtv. the recommended
> method is to use the python script 'tv_grab_nz-py'. Here's a thread to
> get you started:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/525648#525648
>
> Since the above thread, it's no longer working for me again (myth BE
> doesn't seem to want to run mythfilldatabase on shedule), so I have to
> run mythfilldatabase via a cron job instead (no biggie, but just not
> as aesthetic).

It works fine from the backend - there is something wrong with your
backend! what error are you getting?

Don, EIT on DVB-T only shows Next and Now info, which is why you only get a
couple of hours.

Use tv_grab_nz-py

1. Install xmltv

2. Place tv_grab_nz-py in /usr/local/bin and make it executable

3. run tv_grab_nz-py --configure
--config-file=~/.mythtv/YOURVIDEOSOURCENAME.xmltv

It will ask what channels you want, a Y or N for each suggestion.

YOURVIDEOSOURCENAME is the name of the video source - whatever you called
it when you wan mythtv-setup - mine is FreeviewHD

I assume for some reason you are running mythbuntu, if that is correct copy
the config file to ~mythtv/.mythtv/

4. Go to mythweb and into the settings/tv/channels. Set the xmltvid (per
the config file) for each channel, and untick "use on air guide" for each
channel. Click "Save" at the bottom of the page (you may need to scroll).

5. run mythfilldatabase from the command line and check if the guide data
is updated.

6. in mythtv-setup make sure you have set up to run mythfilldatabase daily.