[mythtvnz] Looking for modern video input devices (vs PCI cards)

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Wed May 23 10:37:20 BST 2012

On 23/05/2012, at 8:51 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> OP has 3 PCI cards :)

Good spotting Nick.  8)

I can't get by with a single SkyStar since a lot of my schedules require more than a single multiplex at any single time.
Dumping DVB-S isn't preferable since I use it for my guide info with a fair bit of tweaking compared to other sources.

I bought a HD HomeRun a little while ago but since I didn't have any spare time to play I lent it to a mate. When I get it back I may be able to get by on just 2 PCI slots, but I'm not certain that my fronts ends will handle 720p or 1080i yet (Older Mac minis that don't look like they are supported by VDA). They hiccup on some of my Top Gear episodes, so that's not a confirmed option yet.

> The HD-PVR - I do not recall seeing anyone using one of these here,
> but I haven't searched the archive either.
>
> There are a lot of comments about flakiness on mythtv-users, HD-PVR
> problems seem to occupy a lot of time on the list.
>
> One thing I have never been sure on - how do they go with 50Hz PAL-land video?
>
> Also I don't have a Sky box, let alone a Sky HD box - do they have a
> usable component out? Or are they hdmi only?

I've got an old style Sky box that has composite and S-Video outputs, hence the PVR-150 hits the spot. I believe the HD boxes have component as well as HDMI, but I haven't bit the bullet and upgraded since I wasn't certain if I could get it working with Myth, and many programs my g/f watches are only on Sky, so thought it best to play it safe.

I shall have a scan of the main list archives, see what the consensus is on the HD-PVR. Thanks Nick.

 - Wade