[mythtvnz] Looking for modern video input devices (vs PCI cards)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed May 23 09:51:47 BST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 12:47:06 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>It's been a long long time since I built my original system and I'm looking at updating parts of it before moving to MythTV 0.25.
>>
>>It currently has a PVR-150 and 2 x SkySTAR DVB-S cards, all PCI.
>>
>>PCI slots are getting pretty rare from my scanning of PBTech and similar sites, so building a new system with my current cards might be hard to do.
>>
>>So:
>>
>>What is the current equivalent of a PVR-150? My requirement is for capturing off a SD Sky digital box via S-Video, preferably via a card/adaptor with MPEG2 encoder rather than a frame grabber and CPU encoding. If I can move this to PCIe then finding a new motherboard becomes a lot easier.
>>
>>Has anyone tried a Hauppage HD-PVR with Sky HD over here?
>>
>> - Wade
>
> I had no problem finding a modern motherboard with two PCI slots last
> week when my old one (Asus M2NPV-VM) became unstable.  For $510.81, I
> got these:

OP has 3 PCI cards :)

The HD-PVR - I do not recall seeing anyone using one of these here,
but I haven't searched the archive either.

There are a lot of comments about flakiness on mythtv-users, HD-PVR
problems seem to occupy a lot of time on the list.

One thing I have never been sure on - how do they go with 50Hz PAL-land video?

Also I don't have a Sky box, let alone a Sky HD box - do they have a
usable component out? Or are they hdmi only?