[mythtvnz] Good remote with active driver development

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue May 8 07:27:41 BST 2012

Just for those not on mythtv-users I thought I would let you know
about a great remote control I have found out about:

http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

Unbelievably US$13 delivered anywhere, including NZ. I thought for
that I would get something coming standard post that would get pinched
out of the letterbox, but I had to go to the PO and sign for it.

The driver referred to on the above page is in active development and
works right out of the box. sudo make install and two minutes later
the remote works (well you have to put batteries in silly).

Not a universal remote, nor the "don't care about line of sight"
advantages of bluetooth, but just a good IR remote with a specific and
actively developed. You can also dynamically load keymaps, so for
example you could load a keymap suitable for xbmc before switching to
xbmc, then load the myth one back on exit.

Disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in either the ebay seller or
the driver developer.