[mythtvnz] Deinterlacing problem on TV1 MotoGP broadcasts?

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Sun May 6 11:45:13 BST 2012

On 6/05/2012, at 9:59 PM, Brett <mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Bit of combing on parts of some real close up shots.
>>> Just looks massively compressed. Much worse than last season..
>>> The video quality from the different circuits was quite varied last
>>> season.
>>>

>> It's much easier to see on the close up shots but if you look real close
>> it's pretty much everywhere there is any motion across the frame. Classic
>> interlacing problem. Gob-smacked TVNZ can't get this right. Maybe no
>> commercial pressures means no incentive to get it right.
>>
> Does not look like classic de-interlacing problem to me..& it is not out
> of order fields.
> Could be from making interlaced video from progressive without temporal
> mv correction (ffmpeg).
>
> I don't think TVNZ does much video processing to MotoGP apart from
> ads...just downloads it from internet server & that's why it is
> compressed to hell.

By "classic" I meant what you get when someone doesn't even understand what to do, or not do, with interlaced source material. Yes it's compressed but that's not the dominant degrading factor. Just compare frames with low motion with those with lots of motion. Look for edges and you'll see combing everywhere on the high motion frames. I don't know how they fubared it so badly.

Wouldn't TVNZ have to produce 1080i from a likely progressive content source? Or do MotoGP.com supply content ready for broadcast?