[mythtvnz] Looks like my system drive is faulty - ideas?

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jun 24 06:20:42 BST 2012

On 24/06/2012, at 4:59 PM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:38:41 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> A know reason for CMOS settings to go awry is a dying CMOS back up battery.
>> I had to replace one this week.
>> -Paul
>
> Yes, but I have had the settings go bad with batteries that were fine
> for several more years.  When the battery dies, it is usually fairly
> obvious, with strange settings showing up in the BIOS screens, or the
> settings reverting to defaults on each boot.  CMOS battery life is not
> easy to predict either.  In a well designed motherboard, the CMOS RAM
> should not be drawing more power than the lithium battery loses
> sitting on a shelf.  And the shelf life of a lithium battery should be
> 7 years at least.  But some motherboards need the battery replaced as
> often as every 2-3 years.  Typical seems to be around 4-5 years.

I found a bootable cd. Boots ok and I can see two of my three drives listed in /dev. Also in bios setup. Plugged the suss drive back in and system stays up. Now I need to figure out mounting drives after a cd boot and how to scan for the suss drive.

Don't think cmos is bad but could be time to get a new battery just in case.