[mythtvnz] Mhegepgsnoop Setup

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 21 12:16:23 BST 2012

On 21/06/12 22:21, Neil Henwood wrote:

>> Just noticed you have "demux1" in the device string. Not sure about
>> your card/setup but I would have thought "demux0" would be more
>> likely. I have a dual tuner card so I have /dev/dvb/adapter0 and
>> /dev/dvb/adapter1. But neither adapter has more than one demux so I
>> only have demux0 for each. So in my case I can pull EPG data from
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 or /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0.
>>

> That was intentional as I was using a HVR3000, and it is a dual DVB tuner.
>
> I've reconfigured myth to not release the tuner when it has finished and
> also tried to use the Nova-T500 that I have as well, this is what I get
> in that case
>

> [root at server neil]# /home/neil/mhegepgsnoop-0.3.6.py -m "-u<user> -p
> <pw>" -d /dev/dvb/adapter3/demux0 -o /home/neil/mheg.xml
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/neil/mhegepgsnoop-0.3.6.py", line 855, in <module>
> main()
> File "/home/neil/mhegepgsnoop-0.3.6.py", line 286, in main
> the_pid = find_pid3(dmxfd, demux_filter)
> File "/home/neil/mhegepgsnoop-0.3.6.py", line 359, in find_pid3
> program_info_len =((buf[10] & 0x0F) << 8) | buf[11]
> IndexError: list index out of range
>
> I do however get something in the output though, so something is happening.
>
> [root at server neil]# cat mheg.xml
> <tv date="20120621220400" generator-info-name="mhegepgsnoop.py"
> source-info-name="DVB-T MHEG Stream" />

The bit of output you got is not dependent on whether you managed to
connect to the demux or not. Looks like I need to do a bit more error
trapping so the code stops immediately after it fails to read from the
demux, which is what I think happened in your case.

>> My cron job runs at 10 minutes past every hour. I do this because I
>> have noticed that the MHEG EPG does get updated at odd times during
>> the day. Mostly trivial changes to show descriptions I believe. My
>> cron job runs as root so I don't need to be logged in to get the EPG.
>
> So you can successfully run this while recordings are taking place?

Yes. Just tested again to be certain.

> I'm going to have to try to find some time to dedicate to working on
> this to get it working correctly.

Use the -v option to get verbose output. Might help you to see what
progress you're making.