[mythtvnz] mythtv 0.25 jitter/judder

Brett mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Jun 14 09:23:56 BST 2012

> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25#Video_Playback
> > Smooth sync was implemented over 5 commits.
>
> you do realise that this change was in regards to time stretch and has
> nothing to do with normal playback

Yes, the avsync prediction (smooth sync) is only enabled when
timestretch is active.
But there appears to be smooth sync support code in the player that is
always used.
There are some playback timing calculations based on video frame rate
which (I think) should be refreshrate. People using the optimal video
modes will have refreshrate = video frame rate so no problem. Those who
can't use the optimum rate get judder.

> > Myth 0.25 has the worst sensitivity to frame rate/refresh rate mismatch
> > of any media player I have used.

And myth 0.24+fixes was fine..

> The only way to get perfect playback of 24Hz content , is to use a
> 24Hz display. There's no way around it.
> If you use anything else, you'll get judder and will require to drop
> video frames every once in a while

Sadly that is true but I don't want/expect perfect playback. The 24p to
60Hz pull-down is fine.
You do not get dropped frames but a cadence from the frame repeating.
Using a 24p mode is the only way to get the TV to do temporal
interpolation.
24p to 48p or 60p temporal interpolation on PC is only available in
windows.

i50 playback on an i60 display was fine with myth 0.21 - 0.24
24p playback on an i60 display was fine with mythtv 0.24+fixes.

> i'm not sure what you're on about, but you don't make much sense.
Well you might if you read thru' the whole thread.