[mythtvnz] Just how cheap could you build a system? Possibly OT.

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Wed Jun 6 08:57:21 BST 2012

On 06/06/12 17:05, dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:43:24 +1200, "Criggie"<criggie at criggie.org.nz>
>> How about you get VDSL with a 5-6 Mbit/sec upload, set up a tunnel from
>> his home router to yours, and simply stream recordings off your backend
>> to him?
>> Caps could be an issue though, so look for an ISP with zero-rated internal
>> traffic like TCL.
>
> Caps would be the least of the issues with this solution. I guess you may
> be joking.

Only slightly - I've been meaning to try streaming over my spanky new
VDSL to work, just haven't had time.

What other issues do you anticipate?
* Latency - I get 5.5 ms over VDSL to work, and 44-48ms over an ADSL
through my VDSL. Should be workable
* Bandwidth
speedtest returns 40.1 Mbit down and 7.3 Mbit up to Snap in Chch
iperf returns 58.4 Mbit down.

What else?   I know my old 802.11b wireless NIC was almost perfect, and
that only returned about 5 Mbit of actual throughput.
And I'm only thinking about SD not HD.

But back to the original question of low-cost mythbox... The cheapest
way is to use stuff you already have.
My first mythbox had 3x30 GB Maxtor IDE drives in a raid0 (this was
before the days of storage pools).
So find what you got and what you don't have, and let us know.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/