[mythtvnz] Just how cheap could you build a system? Possibly OT.

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jun 6 06:56:35 BST 2012

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 04:47:41 +0000, you wrote:

>I built my system 'on the cheap' using an ex-lease box ($60) + tuner ($130) + graphics ($120?) + additional hard drives ($220). It still cost me around $500 - $600 which is twice as much as what the wife thinks it did!
>Money well spent though.

That would have been my suggestion too - a second hand box, not too
old, then add the bits needed for a good MythTV box, such as an Nvidia
220 card or better (preferably a silent one), a dual tuner and another
big hard drive.  Add another tuner and hard drive when it can be
afforded.  You only need 1 Gbyte of RAM, although 2 Gbytes is good if
you want to run commercial flagging.  It is better to have a 64 bit
processor, but a box from 4-5 years ago should be good.