[mythtvnz] Just how cheap could you build a system? Possibly OT.

Alick Wilson alick.wilson at braithwaite.co.nz
Wed Jun 6 05:48:44 BST 2012

I have a MagicTV MTC3600TD DVR. It is the predecessor of the current
MTV3700TD, refer http://www.magictv.co.nz.

I did extensive research on the Internet before buying.

It is an excellent box, and I highly recommend it or its successor.

It has had the occasional glitch, which typically results in a restart.
However, I would not describe it as "flaky", I would describe it as "robust"
but not perfect.

The manufacturer provides firmware updates (download and USB) and the NZ
agent provides excellent, knowledgeable and responsive support. (I had a lot
of contact with them over lip sync problems, quickly resolved with firmware
update.)

If I was buying again today, I would probably buy the MTV3700TD.

However, these DVRs and all other commercial DVRs have a major failing, and
that is that they are only dual tuner. With a 5-minute overlap at the end of
all recordings to allow for programmes running late, that often means I
cannot record two programmes simultaneously.

So, I intend to build myself a triple tuner MythTV box when I have the time.

Alick Wilson