[mythtvnz] IDE-SATA adaptor?

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Sat Jul 28 04:24:28 BST 2012

On 28/07/12 13:21, Nick Rout wrote:
> My backend needs more storage. It has no more sata ports, and no more
> PCI/PCIe slots to put in a SATA card.
>
> It does have a spare IDE header on the motherboard. Is there an
> adaptor that I can use to convert the motherboard's IDE header to a
> sata drive? Google kinda tells me there is, but I can't find any
> locally, and there is a deal of confusion from my google searches. The
> confusion is between adaptors that allow you to use a IDE drive on a
> SATA motherboard on the one hand, and what I want (SATA drive on IDE
> motherboard) on the other hand.
>
> Alternatively PCIe to 4 sata port card that works with linux (I have a
> PCIe to two SATA port at present).
>
> Or a source of IDE 2 or 3 TB hard drives?

Here's a SATA/PATA ide adapter, Good thing is its reversible so SATA
drive on PATA port, or PATA drive on SATA port.
http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=AOC300&code=A-CNV300
RRP is about $40

There are PCIe cards, the mentioned DX ones look okay.
http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=AOC120&code=AOC-PE010
will take 2x PATA (four drives?) an internal SATA and an eSATA so six
drives.   RRP is around $75

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX VGA LGA1155 has 4x sata3 and 4x sata6 for RRP
of $339

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX VGA LGA1155 has 4x sata3, 5x sata6, 1x
esata and 1x msata for RRP of $549.

Or is it time to consider a slave backend that only holds disk?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/