[mythtvnz] WinTV Nova S - won't tune

Johan Schuld johanschuld at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 21:03:37 BST 2012

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:25:44 +1200
> From: Glenn Ramsey <gr at componic.co.nz>
> To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
> Subject: [mythtvnz] WinTV Nova S - won't tune
>
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is any special configuration required to get the
> Hauppauge WInTv Nova S plus to work? On my machine the card is found and
> all the
> right modules seem to be loaded but it won't tune, using mythtv or Stephen
> W's
> dvbtune script. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the dish or cable
> because
> a freeview receiver and the other card I have in the machine both work
> OK[1].
>
> The machine is running Mythbuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.2.0-26.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Glenn
>
> [1] actually the other card (TeVii s480) doesn't quite work OK, which is
> why I
> bought the second card, but it does tune. Only one of the tuners works
> reliably,
> the other often fails to start or tune or record. I found some references
> others having the same problem.

A few things that could cause the problem, you don't give much details so
will give you a quick run-down with the risk of suggesting things you have
already tried or done.

I assume you have downloaded the Nova-S firmware from the net somewhere and
put it in the firmware folder (from memoy /lib/firmware)? These generally
don't come with the distros as it's Haupauge propriatry. Maybe different
with Mythbuntu though.

Do you split the coax? Remember that this will affect the signal strenght.
If in doubt unplug from your old card and just plug it in to the Nova-S.

I've spent hours with this card before until I realised I simply did not
have the right amount of 0's at the end of one of the frequencies. Easy to
miss as there are so many.

What is not working with the other card? If it's reception issues, it might
still be the dish being misaligned or something in front of it. The TeVII
card might just pick up the signal, and the Nova-S might just not although
I would not expect this. Settop boxes seem to be able to work with less
signal strenght somehow...

Does dmesg list the card als installed? anything in /var/log/messages or
myth's logs?

J.