[mythtvnz] Myth & Raid. SW or HW..

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Jul 19 05:09:43 BST 2012

I've run raid 1 and raid 5 on my home server boxes for the last 12 years.
Originally 100G drives, then 250G and now 1T.

My current boxen has a 160G system disk that has regular backups rather
than running raid 1 these days.

The main storage for both MythTV and other apps is 5x1T disks in a raid 5
array giving me 4T usable space. This is chopped up with LVM2 and various
filesystems as appropriate for the sizes and number of files in each
partition.

In the 12 years I've had 3 disks fail and never lost any data. Maximum
downtime has been less than an hour. The last fail of a 1T drive was about
a year ago.

I expect any box I build to be good for at least 5 years so I've got 2
more to go!!

--
Robin Gilks