[mythtvnz] Myth & Raid. SW or HW..

Johan Schuld johanschuld at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 02:46:02 BST 2012

Hi All,

Thanks for all the response. I agree I still need to make regular backups,
which I'm doing. It's just a pain that when it goes down, I have to get new
HW, rebuild it and have down time while doing that which does not boast
well wit my better half. That's why I'm thinking of RAID.

By the sounds of it, SW raid is the best way to go for me, and also the
most affordable. For some reason I did not even consider to only put a
portion of the drive in RAID (the os..) but a very good option, which I
probably use. As some of you pointed out, I don't care too much about
recordings and movies.

currently I'm eyeing up the (new) WD Caviar RED drives. Not sure if it's
good to be an early adopter with this but as they are promoted as raid
drives might be worth while.

Note that my existing drive is an ATA drive, so that means that I'll be
mirroring an ATA drive with SATA. Probably works fine especially as it's
just the OS and database on there.

So setup will be 250G ATA drive and 2TB SATA.
RAID1 250GB ATA with a 250GB partition on SATA.  Having a 2nd (non-raid)
partition of 1.75TB

Will do some more research about SW raid on boot and os parititons etc so
I'm sure I will still be able to boot when i.e. my 3y/old ATA drive dies.
Not sure if it's all transparent.

Cheers

J.