[mythtvnz] Myth & Raid. SW or HW..

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:13:58 BST 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM, James Booth <james at booths.net.nz> wrote:

> **
>
> I run 2 x RAID1 (4 disks total) using software RAID. System disk is
> separate again.

Any reason why you chose that setup over software RAID10? RAID10 would give
you the same level of redundancy with better performance.

> Definitely worth doing RAID, but I should probably have gone for RAID5 as
> it would be much easier to add capacity.

If the drives are all the same size then it wouldn't be that hard to change
over for you. Take a drive out of each RAID1. Use those 2 drives to create
a degraded RAID5. Copy the data from one of the original RAID1 arrays to
the RAID5. Destroy that RAID1 and add the drive to the RAID5. Copy the data
from the other RAID1 (you don't need to wait for the RAID5 to rebuild).
Reshape the RAID5 to add the last drive. You'd be running the risk of
losing half your data to a single drive failure while the RAID5 is degraded.

Switching to RAID5 would give you extra capacity equal to the size of the
smallest disk so if there is a big difference in the size of the drives
then it might not be worth the effort.

Cheers,