[mythtvnz] Myth & Raid. SW or HW..

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Wed Jul 18 09:59:47 BST 2012

On 18/07/12 20:42, Johan Schuld wrote:
> So, as HD will inevitably die, my plan is to buy some new HD's and put
> them in a RAID array. Thinking RAID1 as I currently don't have the funds
> to buy more than 2 drives.

Why? Do you need minimal downtime of your recordings? That's what RAID
is for.

> Regardless of SW or HW, I'm thinking of 2x 2TB drives, in Raid1. I've
> been looking at the WD Green ones as they are competitively priced and
> silent (pc is under the TV). That drive has been discussed many times
> here so I am aware that they might have issues in SW raid, I'm just
> still looking at a similar drive from another vendor.

The WD Green drives (and other consumer drives) have issues with any
RAID, be it software or hardware. Their firmware just isn't designed for it.

I use WD Green drives, but I don't use RAID, I don't consider the
recordings worth it. I do have backups though.

hads
--
http://nice.net.nz