[mythtvnz] TV1+1 freeview.xml header update?

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jul 4 05:48:17 BST 2012

On 04/07/12 13:30, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM, David Moore <dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
> <mailto:dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/07/12 18:07, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>         I'd also point out that people screwing up their
>         database and then asking for help on the main mailing lists has
>         led some
>         of the developers to conclude that they would be better off using an
>         embedded sql engine so that people couldn't touch the database
>         at all.
>

>     I'm not looking forward to embedded sql if it means the devs will
>     restrict what you can do to the db. I don't really understand why
>     anyone should worry about people screwing up their db.
>

>  From a design point of view it would be better if the client programs
> weren't connecting to the database directly - they should be getting all
> data via the backend process. Really they probably shouldn't even be
> aware that there is a database. There was some talk about going that
> way, not sure if anything has come of it (I don't really follow the main
> lists these days).
>
> I'm sure there will still be tools to access the database, it just won't
> be as convenient as it is now. I won't be happy if it happens either,
> but I do understand the reasoning.

I still don't get it. I would understand if there were good technical
reasons for embedded vs external db. For example, faster or smaller or
more reliable. But the argument that users might break it doesn't fly
for me. So what if they do? It's their problem. If the solution means
less functionality for me then I'm dead set against it.

>     MythTV is free (and open) so nobody should demand or expect support
>     if they break something and nobody should feel obligated to help
>     someone who breaks their own db. And nobody should expect any advice
>     given to be 100% correct.
>

> Unfortunately people are demanding. And it can only take a few cases of
> bad behaviour on the part of the users before a dev (or even another
> user providing support) gets annoyed and stops helping. I've seen it
> happen time and again on the main list. The vast majority of devs rarely
> read the users list at all, and I can't really say I blame them.

I don't blame them either. But it shouldn't have any impact on design.
Just ignore people who are too demanding/rude/incompetent. No need to
consider their input in design.