[mythtvnz] TV1+1 freeview.xml header update?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:30:09 BST 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM, David Moore <dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> On 03/07/12 18:07, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>> I'd also point out that people screwing up their
>> database and then asking for help on the main mailing lists has led some
>> of the developers to conclude that they would be better off using an
>> embedded sql engine so that people couldn't touch the database at all.
>>

> I'm not looking forward to embedded sql if it means the devs will restrict
> what you can do to the db. I don't really understand why anyone should
> worry about people screwing up their db.

>From a design point of view it would be better if the client programs
weren't connecting to the database directly - they should be getting all
data via the backend process. Really they probably shouldn't even be aware
that there is a database. There was some talk about going that way, not
sure if anything has come of it (I don't really follow the main lists these
days).

I'm sure there will still be tools to access the database, it just won't be
as convenient as it is now. I won't be happy if it happens either, but I do
understand the reasoning.

> MythTV is free (and open) so nobody should demand or expect support if
> they break something and nobody should feel obligated to help someone who
> breaks their own db. And nobody should expect any advice given to be 100%
> correct.

Unfortunately people are demanding. And it can only take a few cases of bad
behaviour on the part of the users before a dev (or even another user
providing support) gets annoyed and stops helping. I've seen it happen time
and again on the main list. The vast majority of devs rarely read the users
list at all, and I can't really say I blame them.

Cheers,