[mythtvnz] Dying OS HDD - What would others do?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 12:32:38 BST 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> What I would
> probably do is boot a CD with Clonezilla on it, and use Clonezilla to
> make a copy of the partitions on the failing disk.  That could be
> directly to your new drive, or to image files on another hard disk and
> then from there to the new disk.

In this particular case the new disk is smaller than the old disk so
copying partitions directly probably isn't going to be easy. Though backing
up the partitions to another drive that way is a very good idea.

My system
> disk is also a recording drive anyway (3 Tbyte Hitachi - very fast). I
> have never had any problems with having my system on a recording
> drive, but I have always used a fast disk.  I would be wary of doing
> it with a "green" type drive.

In my case I've run from a single drive for over 7 years now and never had
a problem. That's a combined BE/FE that also does commflagging. Though I
rarely record more than 3 things at once, and I'm still SD only at the
moment.

Cheers,