[mythtvnz] Audio question and video pixelation question

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 23:53:41 GMT 2012

I've been getting familiar with operating my mythbox.I don't appear to
have any major
problems,but I do have a couple of questions the list members may be able
help with.

1. When watching live TV or recordings,the audio seems to default to
English AC3 5.1 ch
(I get that message briefly when I select a new channel).I can select
English
AAC-LATM 2 ch with the <-> key.I can actually  also select Italian
AAC-LATM 2CH
on some channels although this is in English too.
The AAC-LATM sounds better through my sound system - correct level,full
stereo.
AC3 5.1 ch doesn't come through well.

Is there somewhere I can set the default to English AAC-LATM?

2. I get brief periods (up to 30 secs) where the video gets progressively
more pixelated
and distorted,sometimes freezing,sometimes associated with audio
distortion.
I suspect this is due to poor signal (DVB-T) as I am 55km from the
transmitter.
signal strength is usually around 80% to 95%
I'm planning to put up a hi gain antenna.

Are there any other causes I should investigate?