[mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Thu Jan 12 07:12:48 GMT 2012

On 12/01/12 18:54, Steve Hodge wrote:
> If you're going to be recording a lot of stuff
> simultaneously then perhaps having MySQL on a separate drive might be
> important...

Why?  The mysql output is a single record to the recordings table, a
single record in the recorded table, and maybe a few state updates that
the tuner is in use.

The bulk of the data is streamed to your hdd, but its steady rather than
bursty, and its not more than a few Mbit/second.

.: a mythbox needs space for recordings and enough bandwidth to stream
those recordings to the disk, over anything else.

Mine's got a 40 GB drive with the OS, two 1TB drives for recordings, and
a separate "refurbished" 250 GB drive I use for backups.
The 40 has 73001 hours of poweron time (8.327 years)

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/