[mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:54:40 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 12:12, Douglas Pearless <
Douglas.Pearless at pearless.co.nz> wrote:

> I'd recommend that the boot drive is a small (say 64GB) SSD as it makes
> trying out new stuff and rebooting very fast!

My personal opinion is that if you're planning leave it on 24/7 then an SSD
is a waste of money. I don't really think a separate boot/OS drive is
necessary - I've been running a combined backend/frontend with a single
drive for more than 5 years and never felt I needed a separate boot/OS
drive. If you're going to be recording a lot of stuff simultaneously then
perhaps having MySQL on a separate drive might be important but I'd wait
until you have problems before worrying about it. If I found I did need a
second drive for MySQL I'd consider an SSD just for the noise reduction.

Cheers,