[mythtvnz] Lightweight PC (Car PC?)

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Sun Jan 8 23:57:42 GMT 2012

Hi Everyone,

I want to look at building up a media PC for use on my boat. This would be for
providing music and serving videos (but probably no live TV), plus running a
few apps such as OpenCPN.

I know there has been lots of discussion here about various mini-ITX boards,
cases, etc, but I also note various vendors selling "Car PC's", which are
small, compact, and most importantly will run off a 12-36V DC power input.
Anyone have an opinion on whether these are worth the money, or would I be
better putting something together myself?

Cheers,
James.