[mythtvnz] New member - Hardware recommendations

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 18:41:00 GMT 2012

> Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 10:43:05 +1300
> From: Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtvnz] Fwd: New member - Hardware recommendations
> To: "mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
>

> Hi Everyone
>
> I have been reading the archives for some time now and I have finally
> decided to build a HTPC.
> I work in the electronics field,mainly with robotic hardware.I use Ubuntu
> and am familiar with the CLI,but largely using copy and paste of commands
>    from help sites to get things done.
> I would like to keep costs down and would like to keep the need to patch
> software etc. to a minimum.
>
> Hardware keeps changing,so it's hard to know what are the better options
> at present.The system will be a combined BE/FE with a HDMI connection to
> the TV.I want the audio to go via the HDMI cable.I will be receiving
> Freeview DVB-T.
> So far I'm looking at the following hardware:
>
> Motherboard:		 Asus P8H61-M LE
> CPU:				Intel G620
> Memory:			       2GB
> Tuner Card:		   Hauppauge HVR-2200
> Video Card:		   Gigabyte GeForce GT 430 OC
> Storage:			      1TB
>
> I've read that the HVR-2200 is easier to set up in Linux than the
> HVR-2210
>
> Any comments or suggestions on my choices are welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 18:56:25 +1300
> From: Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations
> To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
>
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone
>>
>> I have been reading the archives for some time now and I have finally
>> decided to build a HTPC.
>> I work in the electronics field,mainly with robotic hardware.I use
>> Ubuntu
>> and am familiar with the CLI,but largely using copy and paste of
>> commands
>> ?from help sites to get things done.
>> I would like to keep costs down and would like to keep the need to patch
>> software etc. to a minimum.
>>
>> Hardware keeps changing,so it's hard to know what are the better options
>> at present.The system will be a combined BE/FE with a HDMI connection to
>> the TV.I want the audio to go via the HDMI cable.I will be receiving
>> Freeview DVB-T.
>> So far I'm looking at the following hardware:
>>
>> Motherboard: ? ? ? ? ? ? Asus P8H61-M LE
>> CPU: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Intel G620
>> Memory: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?2GB
>> Tuner Card: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Hauppauge HVR-2200
>> Video Card: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Gigabyte GeForce GT 430 OC
>> Storage: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?1TB
>
> Insufficient storage, but easy to upgrade if your case is big enough.
> [...]
Thanks for the reply.
The double post was due to my original post not even showing up in my
"Sent Mail" for some reason.
Initially I probably will be watching Live TV.At the moment I use two
Phillips HDD recorders to mainly time shift and skip ads.
The case will be a recycled Midi tower with the lowest noise fans fitted
to it

Should I go for the latest release of Mythbuntu or is there an earlier
version that is more suitable for a noob?

cheers
Paul