[mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 05:56:25 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone
>
> I have been reading the archives for some time now and I have finally
> decided to build a HTPC.
> I work in the electronics field,mainly with robotic hardware.I use Ubuntu
> and am familiar with the CLI,but largely using copy and paste of commands
>  from help sites to get things done.
> I would like to keep costs down and would like to keep the need to patch
> software etc. to a minimum.
>
> Hardware keeps changing,so it's hard to know what are the better options
> at present.The system will be a combined BE/FE with a HDMI connection to
> the TV.I want the audio to go via the HDMI cable.I will be receiving
> Freeview DVB-T.
> So far I'm looking at the following hardware:
>
> Motherboard:             Asus P8H61-M LE
> CPU:                            Intel G620
> Memory:                        2GB
> Tuner Card:                Hauppauge HVR-2200
> Video Card:                Gigabyte GeForce GT 430 OC
> Storage:                              1TB

Insufficient storage, but easy to upgrade if your case is big enough.
Of course if you don't have a family of teenagers all wanting to
record different shows to what their parents want to record, then 1T
will last longer than in my house. I am about to install a 2T drive,
making a total in the backend of about 3.75T

Being in love with my HDHR tuner I recommend them to everyone, and you
support a NZ company :)

www.silicondust.com

nVidia is certainly the way to go for a linux HTPC, don't let anyone
recommend an ATi or intel card.