[mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:48:34 GMT 2012

Hi Everyone

I have been reading the archives for some time now and I have finally
decided to build a HTPC.
I work in the electronics field,mainly with robotic hardware.I use Ubuntu
and am familiar with the CLI,but largely using copy and paste of commands
 from help sites to get things done.
I would like to keep costs down and would like to keep the need to patch
software etc. to a minimum.

Hardware keeps changing,so it's hard to know what are the better options
at present.The system will be a combined BE/FE with a HDMI connection to
the TV.I want the audio to go via the HDMI cable.I will be receiving
Freeview DVB-T.
So far I'm looking at the following hardware:

Motherboard:		 Asus P8H61-M LE
CPU:				Intel G620
Memory:			       2GB
Tuner Card:		   Hauppauge HVR-2200
Video Card:		   Gigabyte GeForce GT 430 OC
Storage:			      1TB

I've read that the HVR-2200 is easier to set up in Linux than the HVR-2210

Any comments or suggestions on my choices are welcome.

Thanks

Paul