[mythtvnz] Multicast your noisy frontend or backend to a quiet box?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Feb 6 09:10:18 GMT 2012

On 6/02/2012 8:56 p.m., criggie wrote:
> On 06/02/12 19:40, Nick Rout wrote:
>> Someone must be doing it better though.
>
> Plenty of options, but each has some kind of flaw.
> I like option 4 for its versatility.
>

> Option 1
>
> http://www.rextron.com/product_detail.php?class3_id=103&class1_type_id=2
> http://www.cdlnz.com/productimages/pdfs/av116.pdf
>

> One of these per "display screen", up to four in total.
> HDMI $428+GST Audio
> http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=VMC500&code=VCNM-G90
>
> DVI-D $224+GST No audio
> http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=VMC500&code=VCND-90
>
> VGA is also available, no price atm, and it doesn't carry sound either.
>
> Only seems to support windows according to the docs, you need a sender
> app running on the master box.

> Option 2
>
> http://www.cdlnz.com/productimages/pdfs/ev214.pdf
>
> One of these per "display screen", up to 4/8 in total.
> VGA $110+GST
> http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=VMC500&code=EVA02R
>
> Sender, one only required
> http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=VMC500&code=EVA128L
> 8 port version $374+GST
> http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=VMC500&code=EVA124L
> 4 port version $252+GST
>
> This is VGA only, stereo audio only, and tops out at 1280x1024 at 100m
> of cat5. Its not IP based.

> Option 3
>
> 8 way HDMI splitter $270+GST
> http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&p=HDMI300&code=HDMI18MDY
>

> One pair of these per receiver screen
> Transmitter $150 +GST
> http://www.cdlnz.com/productimages/pdfs/hdmic6tir.pdf
> Receiver $150 +GST
> http://www.cdlnz.com/productimages/pdfs/hdmic6rir.pdf
>
> Note you need two runs of cat6 to each, and they're quite limited in
> length at 1080P. Its also not IP based.

> Option 4
>
> A couple of cheap ex-lease laptops or desktops with mythfrontend running
> on each. And they can be used to do other stuff.
> Can even run windows on them if you want.
> Apple Macs make fine frontends too.

Thanks for your time on this criggie, I also prefer option 4, as I have
the frontends and wired LAN connections to them now.  Its easily syncing
the material on multiple places that's the problem I'm looking to solve.
  Option 3 would also achieve that, however running many lengths of CAT5
is the major roadblock to that idea.

Option 1 is curious, as you said seems to require software drivers on
the master, does not say supports linux. Why is it limited to 4 clients?
  Seems that it works on an existing LAN, which asks the question how
exactly?  Couldn't find a manual to explain further.  Probably does
something similar to what I asked in the OP, with "drives" running like
VLC, pulling the desktop and sending it out in some IP fashion, at a
guess I'd say it sends 4 unicasts.