[mythtvnz] Finally got tv_grab_nz-py script working

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 08:43:58 BST 2012

On 12 August 2012 17:50, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM, tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>> On 12/08/2012 4:40 p.m., Curtis Walker wrote:
>>>
>>> Turned out that my problem related to which user was running
>>> mythbackend, and therefore where the backend goes looking for the
>>> config files. In Arch Linux at least, the default mythbackend daemon
>>> is set to run as user 'root'. To fix, you have to set
>>> "MBE_USER='username'" in /etc/conf.d/mythbackend, where 'username' is
>>> where you've got the tv_grab_nz-py generated config file (by running
>>> "tv_grab_nz-py --configure --config-file ~/.mythtv/<video sources
>>> name>.xmltv").
>>>
>>> For example, for the user 'robert', with the Video Source name in
>>> mythtv-setup as 'FreeviewHD', you'd have "MBE_USER='robert'" (without
>>> double quotes) in /etc/conf.d/mythbackend. The generated config file
>>> would be: /home/robert/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv.
>>

>> Does /home/root/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv exist or in some alternative
>> equivalent?  It might not, if I recall correctly Mythbuntu sort of gets over
>> it by using the user "mythtv", more recent versions may behave better as
>> plder versions also needed frigging in the rigging...
>>
>> Alternatively you may be able to find the original version of
>> "FreeviewHD.xmltv" somewhere else?
>
> running (as the user who runs backend)
>
> tv_grab_nz-py --configure --config-file=~/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv
>
> will put it in the right place. Also configuring it from mythtv-setup
> should do the same.
>
> I think it is the "right thing" to run the backend as a a non root user.
>
> mythbuntu runs backend as user mythtv, frontend and user you set up on install.
>
> linhes runs backend and frontend as user mythtv. It also uses mythtv
> as the mysql password, which makes debugging a lot easier than
> ubuntu's insistence on generating a random password and then hiding it
> from everyone!

The name of the user set in the daemon conf ('robert' above) is
separate from the mysql username and password (both 'mythtv' for the
db mythconverg by default, as you all know). Having not used
Mythbuntu, I suspect it is all set up so that the user login name
(mythtv) is set consistently throughout, minimising the possibility of
subsequent config headaches (such as I've had).

By contrast, Arch Linux prides itself on stock packages, therefore I
assume the change to the backend config occurred upstream (not sure of
the reason - as you note, running as root is generally frowned upon in
the *nix world).

When the default username in Arch's mythtv package was changed from
'mythtv' to 'root' in the backend daemon conf it broke my LiveTV.
Annoying that one, since I thought it was some obscure tuner
card/database problem!