[mythtvnz] Upgraded to Mythbuntu 12.04

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:49:36 BST 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Hadley Rich <hads at nice.net.nz> wrote:
> On 30/04/12 17:15, Nick Rout wrote:
>>>
>>>    Upgrading using the LiveCD will overwrite the /var directory (database
>>> and
>>> default recording location among others)
>>

>> That is appalling!
>

> Certainly is. I'm sure many don't read the release notes that closely and no
> one should have to expect an upgrade to destroy an entire directory tree.

This makes me annoyed again at *buntu. The grub problem was reported
on 11 April and defined as critical and confirmed on the 14th.
Nevertheless ubuntu is released on 26 April without a fix. What is
with that? I mean 12.04 is a LTS and is therefore specifically made so
that previous LTS users (ie 10.04) can upgrade. And they leave it
broken?

Give me a rolling release please. Trouble is, from experience gentoo
is too fiddly/time consuming and LinHES makes me nervous as it is
essentially a one man band with a few helpers and has a quite small
user base.