[mythtvnz] DPMS? How to make it stick?

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Sat Apr 28 06:22:34 BST 2012

Aargh! Once again an upgrade has broken something. Screensaver used to
work with MythTV for me but not after upgrading to 0.25. Seems DPMS is
now the way to go. So I added this to my xorg.conf but it doesn't seem
to be recognised at boot.

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	"StandbyTime"	"2"
	Option	"SuspendTime"	"3"
	Option	"OffTime"	"4"
EndSection

I have confirmed DPMS does work if I manually do "xset -display :0 dpms
120 180 240" from the CLI. (Grr! HATE the fact that xset uses seconds
and xorg.conf uses minutes.)

I know Ubuntu is making xorg.conf less relevant over time but I can't
find what is over-riding or ignoring my serverflags entries. Anybody
know how to make this work, i.e., how to get X to take the customised
timeouts at boot? I suppose I can use xset in a startup script but that
seems like a bit of kludge to me.