[mythtvnz] Backend fails to start

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 00:25:02 BST 2012

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:07:19 +1200, Worik Stanton
<worik.stanton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/04/12 18:36, Paulgir wrote:
>>> BTW "You have the commands, use them." is not helpful.we are not all
>>> experts.
>>>
>> Is it worth repeating the upgrade?.
>> Obviously not everyone is having this problem
> Yiu are getting a lot of confusing and confused advice.  Clearly no-one
> knows what the problem is, not surprising unless it is a well known
> problem it is hard to diagnose over such a low bandwidth medium.
>
> So my advice is do redo the upgrade.
>
> Also I have 18 years experience hacking on Linux and my strong advice is
> do not be an early adopter of newly released versions unless you have a
> good reason.  It is a recipe for pain!
>
> As a non-Linux expert you have done very well to even get Myth going at
> all!  It is a fragile and difficult piece of software to use at the best
> of times.
>
> cheers
> Worik

Nick's latest suggestion has got the BE self starting:

"As a further kludgy suggestion, how about adding

  service mythtv-backend start

to the end of /etc/rc.local, which gets executed near the end of the
startup processes. Place it ABOVE the exit 0 line."

I have been using Ubuntu since 6.10 but am still not too fluent in
the command line though I know the basics.I find it difficult decyphering
log
entries or even knowing which log to inspect.

Cheers

Paul