[mythtvnz] Backend fails to start

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 22:44:21 BST 2012

\> ps -A | grep myth

> ps - show system processes
>
> -A all of them
>
> | pipe (think of it as filter)
>
> grep - search
>
> myth - search for the text "myth"
>
> In short, list all system processes and filter all those with 'myth'
> in them - this should catch whether mythbackend (and frontend) are
> running. An empty output means there are no processes, ie neither
> mythbackend nor mythfrontend or anything with myth in the name are
> running.
>
> sudo service mythtv-backend start
>
> sudo - be the root user
> service - control a system service
> mythtv-backend the service you want to control
> start - well, ya can work that out :)
>
> similarly you can stop, restart and other stuff on the service.
>
> Nothing in your log file sticks out like a sore thumb, but the logging
> in 0.25 has changed and I am not entirely sure what to look for.
>
> As a broad based  kludge you could delay the start of mythfrontend by
> inserting a sleep 60 command at the start of the script
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend, but be aware that this will be clobbered by any
> upgrades, and you will need to do it again. This will delay the start
> of mythfrontend by 60 seconds, which should give the backend time to
> properly start. There are undoubtedly better ways, but that might get
> you going for now.

Thanks for explaining   ps -A | grep myth

I tried the mythfrontend start delay suggestion.Although,logically I can't
see the point
as mythbackend is not starting regardless.
If I could find out why I think I would be half way there.

I think it has  to do with upstart:
and that I'm not modifying the mythtv-backend.conf file
correctly.Unfortunately I don't
know enough to know what needs changing.

The reason myth backend.log has no recent entries since the last reboot is
obviously
because mythbackend does not start so there are no entries generated.If I
manually start
the BE then entries begin to accumulate.