[mythtvnz] Backend fails to start

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:27:57 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:10:20 +1200, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And what does the mythbackend log file say about why it failed to start?
>>>

>> Here's more from mythbackend.log after another reboot.
>>
>> BTW "You have the commands, use them." is not helpful.we are not all
>> experts.

Did you need an explanation of the commands that were posted. Here we are:

ps -A | grep myth

ps - show system processes

-A all of them

| pipe (think of it as filter)

grep - search

myth - search for the text "myth"

In short, list all system processes and filter all those with 'myth'
in them - this should catch whether mythbackend (and frontend) are
running. An empty output means there are no processes, ie neither
mythbackend nor mythfrontend or anything with myth in the name are
running.

sudo service mythtv-backend start

sudo - be the root user
service - control a system service
mythtv-backend the service you want to control
start - well, ya can work that out :)

similarly you can stop, restart and other stuff on the service.

Nothing in your log file sticks out like a sore thumb, but the logging
in 0.25 has changed and I am not entirely sure what to look for.

As a broad based  kludge you could delay the start of mythfrontend by
inserting a sleep 60 command at the start of the script
/usr/bin/mythfrontend, but be aware that this will be clobbered by any
upgrades, and you will need to do it again. This will delay the start
of mythfrontend by 60 seconds, which should give the backend time to
properly start. There are undoubtedly better ways, but that might get
you going for now.