[mythtvnz] Backend fails to start

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:57:35 BST 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:39:38 +1200, Brett <mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 19:45 +1200, Paulgir wrote:
>> Since upgrading to 0.25 I have discovered that when the system boots I
>> get
>> a OSD message saying the FE
>> can't connect to the BE and asking if the BE is running.
>> I turn the system off each evening and it is a combined FE/BE setup.
>>
>> I can start the BE by going into BE setup and back out where it asks if
>> want to start the BE.
>> The I start the FE and all is ok.
>> The funny thing is I used to get the same message prior to upgrading but
>> it didn't actually stop myth from
>> working correctly.Now it does.
>> I saw a post from someone experiencing the same problem but I can't find
>> it again.
>>
> I used a modified upstart job from mythtv site to get 0.25 backend to
> behave..
> The existing 0.24 setup (on lucid 10.04) did not work for 0.25.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration
>
> note the specific 0.24 & 0.25 stuff.
> note the exe path needs to be changed if compiled/installed
> in /usr/local/bin.
>
> Brett

Thanks for the information.Unfortunately this is beyond my skills to know
exactly what
to do with it.
Here are the contents of my mythtv-backend.conf :

# MythTV Backend service

description     "MythTV Backend"
author          "Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>"

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started
udev-finish)
stop on runlevel [016]

#expect fork
respawn
respawn limit 2 3600

pre-start script
     [ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
     for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
        /usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping &&
exit 0
        sleep .5
     done
end script

script
	test -f /etc/default/locale && . /etc/default/locale || true
	LANG=$LANG /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv
end script

Do I use the entire text from the page you linked to,or do I need to add
some thing to mine.

Cheers